Cannelloni with green asparagus
When we can’t travel to Italy, we bring Italy to us. This is what food blogger Elle of A Pinch Of Odelle thought when she created this delicious recipe. She turned the classic Italian cannelloni (with ricotta, spinach and tomato sauce) into a healthy and innovative dish.
Combining gluten-free lasagne, some goat cheese leftovers and a box of pine nuts – she whips out a refreshing variant of the well-known classic. “The best recipes are the ones you can make with what you have in your pantry”.
The dish is perfect as a starter or main dish with a piece of ciabatta. We know what we’re eating tonight.
- 6 lasagne sheets (gluten-free or not)
- 12 green asparagus
- 8 slices of Ganda ham
- 100g goat cheese
- 25g flour
- 15g butter
- 200ml milk
- pine nuts (for garnishing)
- Preheat the oven on 200 degrees
- Rinse and trim the asparagus and peel the bottom
- Boil the lasagne about 5 minutes in salted water, drain and let them drain to remove all water. Note: don’t put them on top of each other since they will stick
- Boil the asparagus in salted water for about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water
- Melt the butter, add flour and mix until blended. Bake for 2 minutes until you notice the smell of cookies. Add the milk bit by bit and keep stirring
- Crumble 3/4 of the goat cheese and mix in. Spice with pepper, salt and nutmeg
- Cut the asparagus in half
- Put a slice of ham on top of each lasagne sheet, divide the asparagus and roll
- Put a thin layer of sauce in the oven tray, put the rolls on top and pour the remaining sauce over
- Use the remaining 2 slices of ham, goat cheese and pine nuts for garnishing
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes
- Serve with salad or ciabatta